Coming up this week:
* Gandhi: Spanish rock music,Dec. 6, 9 p.m., Jazz Café Escazú, opposite CIMA Hospital, Escazú, 2288-4740, www.jazzcafecostarica.com.
* ESCATS: jazz/pop music, Dec. 6, 9 p.m., Jazz Café San Pedro, next to Banco Popular, San Pedro, 2253-8933, www.jazzcafecostarica.com.
* Chris Cornell & Layne Staley Tribute: alternative rock music, Dec. 6, 9 p.m., Mundoloco El Chante, San Pedro, 2253-4125, email@example.com.
*Alice Glass: the Canadian vocalist from Crystal Castles performs a DJ set, 7 p.m., Dec. 7, Vertigo, http://vertigocr.com.
* Hanuman Fights: kickboxing, Muay Thai, K1 competitions, Dec. 7, 6 p.m., Shidokan Gym, Moravia, San José, more information at 8347-5271 or 8338-1229.
* Arnoldo Castillo: Christmas special, Dec. 7, 9 p.m., Jazz Café Escazú, opposite CIMA Hospital, Escazú, 2288-4740, www.jazzcafecostarica.com.
* Las Tortugas: classic rock, Dec. 7, 9 p.m., Jazz Café San Pedro, next to Banco Popular, San Pedro, 2253-8933, www.jazzcafecostarica.com.
* Dogandul & guests: Latin fusion music, Dec. 7, 9 p.m., Mundoloco El Chante, San Pedro, 2253-4125, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Hike: 12km, 6 hours, to La Libertad, San Mateo, Estanquillo (Atenas), bus departs Sunday, Dec. 8, 7:15 a.m., at Orotina bus terminal, Coca Cola bus station, downtown San José, Ecológicas Educativa Shkuk, reserve at 8306-6354 or 2223-3186, https://sites.google.com/site/caminatasshkuk.
* Benefit American Football Game: admissions will be donated to Asociación Niños de Cristal, Santo Domingo Saint vs Toros Football Club, Dec. 8, 8:30 a.m., Colleye Fonseca Stadium, Guadalupe, San José, www.AmericanFootballCR.com.
* Breakfast Diciembre: Huba, Silica & Zópilot live at dawn, Dec. 14, 2-6 a.m., gourmet breakfast at sun-up, El Steinvorth, on Calle 1 between Avenidas 0 and 1, San José, https://www.facebook.com/elsteinvorth.
José Feliciano: the Puerto Rican singer will be in Costa Rica performing, Dec. 6-7, Melico Salazar theater, 2nd Avenue, between Calle Central & 2nd, downtown San José, http://josefeliciano.com/wp/
* Potrero Fundraiser: supporting local children from Potrero, Guanacaste, the organization Abriendo Mentes would appreciate donations of toys for kids ages 2-12, candy, drinks, grapes and/or cash donations to provide them with a special Christmas meal, at least 350 children are expected to attend, more information at 8704-3830, www.abriendomentes.org.
Positive Leadership Workshop: interactive workshop to navigate conflict, improve dialogue & lead by example, hosted by UPEACE Center for Executive Education, Dec. 4-6, University for Peace, El Rodeo de Mora, San José, more information - including discount rates - with Julia Delafield, 2205-9052, email@example.com.
Christmas Toy Fundraiser Play: Spanish performance of “Hera: Mujeres con Poder”, through Dec. 8, Thursdays-Saturdays 8 p.m. and Sundays 5 p.m., free admission but people are encouraged to bring a non-giftwrapped, new toy, the toys will be sent to needy kids in Pérez Zeledón for Christmas, Oscar Fessler theater, Barrio Escalante, San Pedro, San José, limited seating so please reserve at 2221-1273.
Little Theatre Group Fundraisers: proceeds benefit the Tom and Norman Home in Guápiles and the Open Arms Costa Rica toy drive, Dec. 14, 7 p.m., Jam and Christmas Show, Maxi Restaurant, Santa Ana, San José, Dec. 15, 3:30 p.m., Wassail and Mistletoe, Los Balcones, Escazú, San José, www.littletheatregroup.com.
II Chocolate Festival: competitions of best single origin, lectures, tastings, displays & more, Dec. 15-17, Puerto Viejo, Limón, www.facebook.com/PuertoViejoChocolateFestival.
Ciudad Luz Festival: festivities filled with music, contests & more, Dec. 16-21, 7-10 p.m., Central Avenue, downtown San José, 2257-1555.
New Year 2014 “Welcome to Heaven” Bash: a party to ring in the New Year with music by Los Ajenos, Dr. Leo, Virya Morales & others, buffet dinner, midnight carnival, after pool party and more, Dec. 31, 8 p.m. – 4 a.m., Wyndham Herradura Hotel, San José, more info at facebook.com/nyepartycr, tickets at www.specialticket.net.
Children’s Museum Camp: enrollment is open for January 2014, this year’s topic is “Desafío de Campeones” with related activities, both physical and intellectual, both indoors and outdoors of the museum, for kids ages 3 ½ - 11 years old, Jan. 13-17 or Jan. 20-24, 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. or 7:30 a.m. - 12 noon, older kids can have a one-night sleepover at the museum at an additional cost, more information at 2258-4929 (ext # 177), firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy Hour English: every Thursday improve your English in a fun and relaxed atmosphere, 4-6 p.m., Nachos Restaurant & Sports Bar, 300 meters East from Palacio de los Deportes, Heredia, 4052-0665, email@example.com.
Hash House Harriers: runs every Thursday around or near San José, Escazú and Santa Ana, hosted by “the beer drinking club with a running problem”, 5:15 p.m., more info www.costaricahhh.com/receding-hairline.
“Pasajes Metafisicos”: featuring artist Juan Carlos Valverde, using sculptures to represent his life experiences and deep human emotion, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Hidden Garden Art Gallery, 5km west of Daniel Oduber airport, Liberia, Guanacaste, hiddengarden.thevanstonegroup.com.
“Código de pasión”: by renowned 70’s artist Pedro Arrieta, includes pieces from the family’s private collection, through Nov. 10, Tuesday thru Sunday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., free admission, Museo de Arte Costarricense, Metropolitan Park La Sabana, next to León Cortés statue, San José, 2256-1281, www.musarco.go.cr.
Bienarte 2013: featuring 10 artists, Calderón Guardia Museum, 100 meters east of Santa Teresita Church and 100 meters north, Barrio Escalante, San José, 2222-6392.
Email Calendar submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.