1 dead, 4 missing as flooding hits Haiti

February 29, 2016

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – One person died and four others were missing in flooding that hit Haiti, leaving at least 9,600 houses in the deeply impoverished Caribbean country underwater, officials said Monday.

The floods were caused by heavy rainfall Sunday linked to a cold front.

One person was killed while crossing a river in the southwestern department of Grand-Anse, civil defense spokesman Edgar Celestin told AFP. The person accompanying the deceased has not been located and three fishermen in the same region have also been reported missing, he added.

Problems linked to the downpours were also reported in the city of Cap-Haïtien on the northern coast, where some 8,100 houses were flooded.

Another 1,530 residences were submerged in the community of Limonade some 15 kilometers (10 miles) to the east, according to Bernadin Francisque, a spokesman for the regional civil defense unit.

An emergency plan setting up shelters was not activated, meaning that people affected by the flooding have had to seek refuge elsewhere.

The flooding comes just two weeks after Cap-Haïtien saw similar fallout from several hours of rain.

Haitian cities are particularly vulnerable to flooding because efforts to reduce the risk are practically nonexistent.

More than half the country’s population lives in cities but the absence of urban planning has led to urban sprawl, with some structures housing the poor built without permits.

Sunday’s bad weather has locals worried since the country’s first rainy season doesn’t usually start until April, lasting into June. A second season traditionally takes place between August and October.

You may be interested

A reader’s glimpse of Monteverde recovery
Photos & Video
5944 views
Photos & Video
5944 views

A reader’s glimpse of Monteverde recovery

Katherine Stanley - October 19, 2017

Tico Times reader Margaret Burton wrote to us from the United States to share this photo taken by her brother-in-law Michael…

President Solís recovers from successful prostate operation
Costa Rica
719 views
Costa Rica
719 views

President Solís recovers from successful prostate operation

Katherine Stanley - October 18, 2017

President Luis Guillermo Solís took a medical leave to undergo prostate surgery Wednesday after postponing the procedure last week to…

VIDEO: A closer look at ‘Battlefield’ before its Costa Rican premiere
Events
762 views
Events
762 views

VIDEO: A closer look at ‘Battlefield’ before its Costa Rican premiere

Katherine Stanley - October 18, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujGfRevDOE&feature=youtu.be "Battlefield," from acclaimed director Peter Brook, premieres tonight at San José's National Theater. Read our full story here.