No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsHealthCosta Rica health officials confirm 2 new cases of H1N1 flu virus

Costa Rica health officials confirm 2 new cases of H1N1 flu virus

The director of San Carlos Hospital in northern Costa Rica, Edgar Carrillo Rojas, on Monday confirmed that doctors are treating two patients diagnosed with the H1N1 flu virus.

Both patients reportedly are in critical condition. One faces complications caused by pneumonia, and the other has bronchopneumonia, Carrillo said.

The hospital is treating a total of 10 patients with respiratory diseases, mostly pneumonia, but doctors are so far unable to confirm that all are attributable to H1N1, because the Costa Rican Nutrition and Health Research Institute is closed for the holidays.

Of the 10 patients admitted last week, three are in critical condition. The remaining seven are in stable condition, Carrillo said. Hospital officials on Sunday transferred an 11-year-old girl with severe pneumonia symptoms to the National Children’s Hospital in San José

The Health Ministry’s director of health surveillance, Roberto Castro, on Monday ruled out that a man who died from respiratory complications last Thursday at that hospital was infected with the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu.

Hospital officials are awaiting the autopsy results of two other men, a Tico and a Nicaraguan aged 20 and 21, respectively, who died last week within 36 hours of being admitted with severe symptoms of pneumonia.

“At this point I can’t confirm whether they died because of H1N1 virus, but it is a positibility considering the symptoms they presented,” Carrillo said.

San Carlos Hospital officials last Friday reported that throughout the week they had attended an average of 50 patients a day with respiratory diseases. The spike in sick people forced officials to open a special consultation service inside a quarantined area of the emergency room and to temporarily cancel visits to most of the hospital’s areas.

Carrillo said officials are aware that an influenza outbreak has been affecting several Nicaraguan communities in recent months, and they do not rule out that the increase in respiratory diseases in San Carlos could be related to the canton’s proximity to the border with that country.

Last year a total of 17 people died in Costa Rica from H1N1 influenza, and so far this year, the Health Ministry has officially confirmed two more.

The H1N1 flu mostly causes sore throat, a phlegmy cough, fatigue and difficulty breathing as warning signs. It was first detected in the U.S. in April 2009 and spreads mainly from person to person through coughing, sneezing or talking.

Trending Now

Latin American Qualifiers Face Double-Duty Day at Cincinnati Open

Latin America’s Cincinnati Open contingent faces a high-pressure Wednesday after severe weather disrupted the opening day of qualifying, leaving several players from the region...

Costa Rica Dollar Exchange Rate Hits Historic Low as Central Bank Intervenes

The U.S. dollar has fallen to its lowest level in Costa Rica’s modern wholesale foreign-exchange market, increasing the squeeze on those residents who earn...

The Unexpected Reason Some Travelers May Prefer Costa Rica

My friend Tomas has worked most of his life in one kind of tourism or another. He’s 100 percent Tico but spent many years...

Why Spending US Dollars in Costa Rica Can Be Surprisingly Difficult

When money is the subject, I am as old school as anybody. Cash is king in my world. The thrill, the feel of a...

Costa Rica Taxi Drivers Push for Digital Meters to Modernize Service

Costa Rica’s traditional taxi industry is proposing a nationwide digital meter system that would allow fares to be calculated and recorded electronically, an effort...

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

Lionel Messi Says He May Not Play Much Longer After Father’s Death

Argentine soccer star Lionel Messi said Wednesday that he has “a lot of doubts” about whether he will continue playing football “for much longer,”...

Fonseca and Cerúndolo Drawn Into the Same Cincinnati Quarter

The Cincinnati Open draw placed Fonseca and Cerúndolo in the same quarter, with Sinner and Alcaraz both absent through injury.

Colombia Quake Death Toll Passes 200 as Rescue Efforts Intensify

The death toll from the powerful earthquake that struck western Colombia yesterday has climbed above 200 as rescue crews continue searching collapsed buildings and...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel