Costa Rican surfer disappears off Pacific coast
A 22-year-old surfer named Ricardo Andrés González has been missing off the coast of Caldera on Costa Rica’s central Pacific coast since Friday afternoon, authorities say. Costa Rican Red Cross spokesman Gerald Jiménez told The Tico Times that authorities have been scanning the waters from 7 a.m. until sunset each day, looking for the lost surfer who is originally from San Antonio de Belén in Heredia.
Jiménez said Monday that a group of 10 Red Cross officials are working the long hours each day to locate any sign of González near the Puntarenas beach popular with locals who make the short trip from the Central Valley.
“We’re continuing to search,” Jiménez said. “But because there is currently a high swell of waves off the coast, it has complicated search efforts.”
The Red Cross is also collaborating with area lifeguards and pedestrians on the beach to find any traces of González. Despite contradictory media reports in the Spanish-language press, Jiménez said that Red Cross authorities did not locate González’s surfboard.
Many of Costa Rica’s beaches are often without lifeguard supervision and the country has seen up to 60 annual drowning deaths since 2000.
You may be interested
A reader’s glimpse of Monteverde recoveryKatherine Stanley - October 19, 2017
Tico Times reader Margaret Burton wrote to us from the United States to share this photo taken by her brother-in-law Michael…
President Solís recovers from successful prostate operationKatherine Stanley - October 18, 2017
President Luis Guillermo Solís took a medical leave to undergo prostate surgery Wednesday after postponing the procedure last week to…
VIDEO: A closer look at ‘Battlefield’ before its Costa Rican premiereKatherine Stanley - October 18, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujGfRevDOE&feature=youtu.be "Battlefield," from acclaimed director Peter Brook, premieres tonight at San José's National Theater. Read our full story here.