Court acquits ex-minister Roberto Dobles of graft

November 17, 2015

A San José court on Monday acquitted former Environment and Energy Minister Roberto Dobles Mora of all charges that he illegally granted a contract to a private mining company connected to a relative while he was in office.

In 2006, the Environment and Energy Ministry, under Dobles, granted mining company Agricultura Mecanizada Chapernal a five-year permit to extract sand, stone and gravel from the bed of the Aranjuez River in Puntarenas province. Dobles’ uncle is on the board of directors of one of the company’s parent corporations.

The charges were filed based on the country’s Illicit Enrichment Law and the Mining Code, which prohibit public officials from granting permits or contracts to close relatives up to first degree of consanguinity.

Judges ruled that Dobles’ signing of the decree authorizing the mining contract was not unlawful because the company is owned by various corporations, and only one of them is related to one of Dobles’ uncle.

Dobles’ lawyer, José Miguel Villalobos, said the charges were baseless as Dobles only signed the decree as a minister, but the contract was granted by the Energy Ministry’s legal department. He also said the contract did not benefit Dobles as he does not have any relation to the company and therefore he was in compliance with provisions of the Mining Code.

The court also dismissed a ₡500 million ($925,000) civil lawsuit filed against Dobles by the Government Attorney’s office.

In January, Dobles was sentenced in a separate trial to a three-year suspended sentence for breach of public duty in granting the Canadian mining company Infinito Gold an open-pit gold mining concession in Crucitas, in the northern Alajuela canton of San Carlos, in 2008.

The court granted him five years probation during which he is also banned from holding public office.

You may be interested

A reader’s glimpse of Monteverde recovery
Photos & Video
5945 views
Photos & Video
5945 views

A reader’s glimpse of Monteverde recovery

Katherine Stanley - October 19, 2017

Tico Times reader Margaret Burton wrote to us from the United States to share this photo taken by her brother-in-law Michael…

President Solís recovers from successful prostate operation
Costa Rica
720 views
Costa Rica
720 views

President Solís recovers from successful prostate operation

Katherine Stanley - October 18, 2017

President Luis Guillermo Solís took a medical leave to undergo prostate surgery Wednesday after postponing the procedure last week to…

VIDEO: A closer look at ‘Battlefield’ before its Costa Rican premiere
Events
763 views
Events
763 views

VIDEO: A closer look at ‘Battlefield’ before its Costa Rican premiere

Katherine Stanley - October 18, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujGfRevDOE&feature=youtu.be "Battlefield," from acclaimed director Peter Brook, premieres tonight at San José's National Theater. Read our full story here.