Former San José Mayor Johnny Araya to run again for his old job
Ex-presidential candidate and former San José Mayor Johnny Araya last Saturday officially announced his bid to run again for mayor, but with a different political party.
A PLN ethics committee banned Araya from participating in political activities for a period of four years as a result of his decision to drop out of Costa Rica’s presidential race on March 5 of last year.
Araya, who ran the capital’s municipality for 22 years, said his goal is “to give San José a new direction,” mostly by resuming projects such as the improvement of the Municipal Police and other public services.
He also said he will go door-to-door “to touch the hearts of the people of San José.”
Paula Vargas, wife of Costa Rican Renovation Party lawmaker Gonzalo Ramírez, and Mario Vargas, a municipal official, will join Araya as vice mayoral candidates.
Paula Vargas said the party mostly brings together members of the Costa Rican Renovation Party, the National Restoration Party, and former members of the Social Christian Unity Party and the ruling Citizen Action Party.
In a speech to accept the nomination, Araya said he would present a campaign platform in about three weeks.
You may be interested
A reader’s glimpse of Monteverde recoveryKatherine Stanley - October 19, 2017
Tico Times reader Margaret Burton wrote to us from the United States to share this photo taken by her brother-in-law Michael…
President Solís recovers from successful prostate operationKatherine Stanley - October 18, 2017
President Luis Guillermo Solís took a medical leave to undergo prostate surgery Wednesday after postponing the procedure last week to…
VIDEO: A closer look at ‘Battlefield’ before its Costa Rican premiereKatherine Stanley - October 18, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujGfRevDOE&feature=youtu.be "Battlefield," from acclaimed director Peter Brook, premieres tonight at San José's National Theater. Read our full story here.