Costa Rica’s Guayabo National Monument reopens to tourists after flooding
Located in the Cartago canton of Turrialba, Guayabo is Costa Rica’s largest and best preserved archaeological site.
Damage by rain last month mainly affected tourist infrastructure, although various pre-Columbian structures suffered minor damage, park administrator Rodolfo Tenorio Jiménez said at the time.
Repairs included a 1,000-meter segment of the tourist trail leading to the area where the main pre-Columbian structures are concentrated. Repair works are still pending along the remaining 600 meters of the path.
Some sectors of the national park are still closed to tourists as flooding in these areas caused fallen bridges and damage to various archaeological structures that currently are still under repair.
Among them, experts are placing rocks that fell off the Caragra road, a path of some 170 meters long that connects the park’s entrance to the main site where cobblestone roads and round platforms lead to the ancient village’s main plaza.
Repair work is being conducted with the help of ₡1.5 million ($2,700) allocated by the National System of Conservation Areas, Tenorio said.
Experts estimate that Guayabo’s total archaeological area comprises some 15 to 20 hectares, however only four of them have been excavated within the park’s 232 hectares.
In 2009 the American Society of Civil Engineers declared Guayabo an International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark as “its roadways, retaining walls, underground channels, water supply, and flood control and drainage facilities represent remarkable civil engineering achievements.”
The park is now open to tourists every day from 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Read more about Guayabo National Monument:
You may be interested
A reader’s glimpse of Monteverde recoveryKatherine Stanley - October 19, 2017
Tico Times reader Margaret Burton wrote to us from the United States to share this photo taken by her brother-in-law Michael…
President Solís recovers from successful prostate operationKatherine Stanley - October 18, 2017
President Luis Guillermo Solís took a medical leave to undergo prostate surgery Wednesday after postponing the procedure last week to…
VIDEO: A closer look at ‘Battlefield’ before its Costa Rican premiereKatherine Stanley - October 18, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujGfRevDOE&feature=youtu.be "Battlefield," from acclaimed director Peter Brook, premieres tonight at San José's National Theater. Read our full story here.