NBC dumps Donald Trump after incendiary remarks on Mexicans
NBCUniversal announced Monday that it would no longer be working with Donald Trump, including on his reality show “The Apprentice.”
Following the lead of Spanish-language broadcaster Univision, which severed its partnership with Trump last week, NBC cited Trump’s “recent derogatory statements” about Mexican immigrants.
NBC, like Univision, said it will no longer air the Trump-partnered pageants Miss USA and Miss Universe.
Trump’s “Celebrity Apprentice” had been renewed, but was on hold as Trump formally launched a campaign to seek the Republican nomination for president. NBC noted in a statement that Trump would not be participating in the program, but that the show would continue.
Over the weekend, a number of Hispanic groups put pressure on NBC to cut off Trump after his comments at his June 16 presidential announcement rally that immigrants coming over the U.S.-Mexican border were “rapists” and drug dealers.
NBC initially tried to distance itself from Trump’s remarks, saying it did not share his views. But a Change.org petition calling on NBC to “Cancel Miss USA, Miss Universe, and the Apprentice” gained more than 200,000 signatures.
Trump’s attorney was not immediately available for comment.
In an interview earlier this month about the future of “The Apprentice,” Trump said, “I love NBC, we’ve had a tremendous success together but I have to do what I’m doing now.” It was unclear then whether NBC would wait to see how Trump’s presidential played out before deciding on another host.
Trump has refused to walk back his comments, but in an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday, said he still believes a large percentage of undocumented immigrants are criminals, but said “it’s not Mexicans, necessarily. They’re coming from all over.”
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who in some polls is the only Republican narrowly ahead of Trump, initially smiled and turned away when told by reporters about NBC’s decision, but then added: “He’s worth nine billion bucks so he’ll be able to survive.”
Washington Post staff writer Ed O’Keefe contributed to this story.
© 2015, The Washington Post
You may be interested
5 questions for a Venezuelan artist in Costa RicaElizabeth Lang - July 15, 2018
Art as a passion and a tool for the communication of complex messages of hope, all influenced by the sociopolitical…
UPDATED: 150 rescued after landslides leave motorists trapped on Route 32Alexander Villegas - July 15, 2018
UPDATE: The National Emergency Commission announced that as of 9 a.m. on Sunday, all 150 people that were trapped on…
Honduras identifies 459 children separated from families in USAFP - July 15, 2018
A total of 459 Honduran children separated from their parents as a result of Washington's "zero tolerance" immigration policy have…