Gas prices go up again

September 23, 2014
1 Comments

Recent good news for drivers lasted less than a month as per-liter prices of “Super” and “Plus” gasoline on Saturday increased by ₡5. Diesel increased ₡3.

The Public Services Regulatory Authority (ARESEP) last month approved a price decrease – the second this year – but Saturday’s was the eighth increase of 2014.

A liter of “Super” gasoline now costs ₡779 ($1.46), while “Plus” costs ₡757 ($1.42) and diesel ₡669 ($1.25).

The new prices follow an update of the Fuel Tax, which is calculated based on an inflation report issued quarterly by the Finance Ministry.

Cooking gas prices also were affected. According to prices ARESEP published in the official newspaper La Gaceta, an 8.5-liter cylinder increased from ₡3,339 to ₡3,348 ($6.25-6.26), while a 17-liter cylinder jumped by ₡17 to ₡6,695 ($12.53).

The Finance Ministry collects the Fuel Tax to fund public programs by redistributing 66.4 percent of the revenue among several agencies. The remaining 33.6 percent is sent to the National Roadway Council to fund road repairs and the Agriculture and Livestock Ministry for reforestation projects.

According to a consumer report published earlier this month by the Central American Committee for Cooperation on Hydrocarbons, Costa Rica is the most expensive country in Central America for fuel.

Facebook Comments

You may be interested

Puerto Viejo Deep Dive: Speeding on Route 256 killing animals, reshaping mobility
Tico Times Deep Dive
49 views
Tico Times Deep Dive
49 views

Puerto Viejo Deep Dive: Speeding on Route 256 killing animals, reshaping mobility

Duncan Anderson - January 24, 2019

PUERTO VIEJO, Limón — Upgrades to Route 256 in Limón, the main road stretching 20 kilometers through several South-Caribbean tourist towns,…

Costa Rica recognizes Juan Guaidó as President of Venezuela; Maduro severs ties with US, expels diplomats
News
1636 views
News
1636 views

Costa Rica recognizes Juan Guaidó as President of Venezuela; Maduro severs ties with US, expels diplomats

Alexander Villegas and AFP - January 23, 2019

Costa Rica recognized Juan Guaidó as the president of Venezuela. Guaidó, the head of Venezuela’s national assembly, declared himself acting…

Uber: Proposed law a start, but ‘far from a proposal that encourages innovation’
Uber
744 views
Uber
744 views

Uber: Proposed law a start, but ‘far from a proposal that encourages innovation’

Alejandro Zúñiga - January 23, 2019

Uber on Wednesday issued a press release criticizing the Costa Rican government's proposed law that would formally legalize ride-sharing platforms…