Álvaro Saborío breaks fifth metatarsal in morning practice, out of World Cup

June 16, 2014
2 Comments

Álvaro Saborío, the top scorer for Costa Rica during qualifying, is officially out of the World Cup. Saborío broke his fifth metatarsal on his right foot during Thursday morning’s practice. The injury was confirmed at a press conference by team doctors Alejandro Ramírez and Vladimir Badilla.

Badilla, the team’s orthopedist, explained that Saborío felt the injury while doing sprints during the practice. “It is not a serious injury, but it would require four to 12 weeks of recovery time,” he said.

Coach Jorge Luis Pinto said the group is shook up by the news. “I feel really sorry for him, he is an extraordinary man.” Pinto refused to disclose the name of the player who will take Saborío’s spot on the team but said it will be one of the players currently preparing for the Brazil tournament.

With the World Cup only two weeks away, the injury would be a huge blow for a Tico team that already lost another star earlier this month.

Real Salt Lake, the U.S. Major League Soccer team that Saborío plays for professionally, also released a statement on the injury.

Saborío is the all-time leading scorer for Real Salt Lake, and last year he was named the MLS Latin Player of the Year. In international play, the forward scored a goal in the team’s most recent friendly against Paraguay in March, and he totaled eight during qualifying.

The 32-year-old forward had missed some practice time last week after flying to the U.S. to be with his wife, who was giving birth to the couple’s first child.

Earlier this month the team learned that elite defender Bryan Oviedo wouldn’t be joining the team in Brazil after failing to recover in time from a broken leg injury he suffered in late January while playing in England.

You may be interested

Billionaire Piñera to return as Chile’s president
Chile
381 views
Chile
381 views

Billionaire Piñera to return as Chile’s president

Paulina Abramovich / AFP - December 18, 2017

Electoral authorities said the 68-year-old conservative, who previously led the South American nation from 2010-2014, won 54 percent of the vote, nearly eight points above his leftist rival Alejandro Guillier.

Download our High Season Print Edition here
The Tico Times
1130 views
The Tico Times
1130 views

Download our High Season Print Edition here

The Tico Times - December 17, 2017

Thanks to all the readers from around Costa Rica and the world who have written to ask how they can…

PHOTOS: Costa Rica’s Festival of Light
Holidays
3333 views
Holidays
3333 views

PHOTOS: Costa Rica’s Festival of Light

AFP - December 17, 2017

Costa Rica's traditional Festival de la Luz, a holiday parade through the heart of San José, filled the capital with…