Construction of northern section of Circunvalación route to begin next year
The Public Works and Transport Ministry this week awarded a $141 million contract to build a northern section of the Circunvalación, a belt route bordering the center of San José.
The project will be financed with a loan from the Central American Bank of Economic Integration and is scheduled to begin in early 2015.
Private contractor Hernán Solís–La Estrella was awarded the concession in a public bid.
“The contractor has six months to design the project and 18 more months to complete it,” Transport Minister Pedro Castro said.
The 4.1-kilometer stretch begins at an intersection in La Uruca, northwest of San José, and connects at an intersection with Route 32, the main route that links the capital with the province of Limón. It includes entrances and exits, several smaller intersections, tunnels and a two-kilometer bridge.
In order to start construction, however, the government must expropriate 20 properties where the new road is to be built.
Bidding companies that did not win the concession may file an appeal, and the contract awaits approval from the Comptroller General’s Office.
Castro said he is confident “work will begin as scheduled.”
You may be interested
The Tico Times Dispatch: An interview with journalist and economist David ChingAlejandro Zúñiga - October 23, 2018
Costa Rica’s Plenary Court rejected the proposed tax reform bill last week and asked that four sections of the initiative…
Soy pico rojo: the new form of protest in NicaraguaLa Prensa - October 23, 2018
Social media has been filled with photos of men and women wearing red lipstick as a way of protest Daniel…