Costa Rican Foreign Minister Enrique Castillo announced at the Casa Presidencial Tuesday afternoon that the International Court of Justice has agreed to hear their latest complaints against Nicaragua this month.
After Costa Rica alleged in September that Nicaragua violated the precautionary measures handed down by the world court by dredging two new canals in the disputed territory of Isla Portillos, the Chinchilla administration has sought additional measures from the world court.
“If the international [court] system is to continue with credibility, we need to discuss temporary measures,” that hold offending countries accountable, Chinchilla said Tuesday.
Castillo said that The Hague would hear oral arguments from Costa Rica from Oct. 14-17.
The foreign minister added that Costa Rica would soon present a draft to the court with its recommendations for how to strengthen the world court’s precautionary measures.
During her address to the United Nations General Assembly last week, President Laura Chinchilla argued for greater accountability and consequences when countries violate precautionary measures from the court.
The Costa Rican leader has characterized Nicaragua’s behavior as a “flagrant” violation of international norms in its perceived invasion of Tico territory to dredge the San Juan River in the Isla Portillos wetlands, alongside Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega’s suggestion of “repatriating” the northwestern Costa Rican province of Guanacaste earlier this summer.
Chinchilla said that Costa Rican intelligence agents continue to monitor the presence of supposedly Nicaraguan military members in the contested border zone.