San José, Costa Rica, since 1956

Costa Rica denounces another Nicaraguan 'invasion' of Isla Calero

The Costa Rica government on Tuesday sent a new complaint to Nicaragua citing another “invasion” of Isla Calero, a small territory bordering the two countries and currently under dispute before the International Court of Justice.

Acting Foreign Minister Carlos Roverssi said in a press conference that Costa Rican officials have reports that members of the Sandinista Youth built a fence in Costa Rican territory last week.

The fence is three lines of barbed wire strung along a distance of 90 meters long at a height of 1.5 meters, he said.

The complaint includes photographic evidence and will be sent to the world court in The Hague, where the dispute between the two countries is still under study.

In November 2010, Costa Rica filed a case against Nicaragua in the court, alleging Nicaragua had invaded Costa Rican territory, and last March, the court issued a series of precautionary measures, including an order barring civilian and military personnel from the area.

Costa Rica denounced previous incursions by the Nicaraguan Army and Sandinista Youth in August and May.

Contact L. Arias at

Comments are closed.