Costa Rican government: There is no $8 million from China
Foreign Minister Enrique Castillo said Wednesday that an $8 million donation from the Chinese government was actually part of a Chinese aid package to be used to build a National Police Academy.
Said Castillo of the $8 million donation the Costa Rican government announced last week: “It was a miscommunication on the part of Chinese authorities.” Chinese officials were forced to clarify the misunderstanding “when aid requests were sent by people affected by the Nicoya earthquake and living in coastal areas,” he said.
Presidency Minister Carlos Ricardo Benavides told Radio Reloj that he “prefered not to call it a miscommunication,” but he also “wasn’t fully aware of the details.”
President Laura Chinchilla said on Aug. 29 the money donated by China “would be invested in technology or education.” Castillo said on Wednesday the money must be used entirely for the Police Academy.
You may be interested
Bright Lights Boat Parade inaugurates holiday season in QueposElizabeth Lang - December 11, 2017
The Bright Lights Boat Parade marked the official kickoff of the holiday season in the Central Pacific town of Quepos…
Strong winds cause three deaths in Costa Rica, one in El SalvadorAFP - December 10, 2017
Three people have died in Costa Rica, includiing two Swiss tourists, and one in El Salvador as a result of…
6 camouflaged Costa Rican creatures you probably haven’t seenLindsay Fendt - December 9, 2017
The jungle can be a scary place, and even for some of the fiercest of Costa Rica’s creatures, sometimes the…