Former presidential candidate accused of accepting ‘ghost’ salary
Board members from the Costa Rican Social Security System, or Caja, this week accused former lawmaker and ex-presidential candidate Walter Muñoz of allegedly receiving ₡23 million ($46,000) in consulting fees from the public health agency between 2002-2004 without performing any work.
Caja officials called for a legal investigation of the case and are seeking to recover the funds, plus ₡15 million ($30,000) in interest. Officials said they found evidence the payments were made, but there is apparently no record of duties or functions carried out by Muñoz.
Caja President Ileana Balmaceda said officials also filed a complained to the Prosecutor’s Office claiming Muñoz failed to pay mandated insurance premiums to the Caja.
Muñoz is a former presidential candidate for the now-defunct National Integration Party, having sought the presidency in 1998, 2002 and 2006. He now heads the National Association of the Insured, a group that is pushing for a referendum on how Caja board members are appointed.
You may be interested
Trump: US to begin cutting aid to Central America over migrant caravanAFP - October 23, 2018
President Donald Trump said Monday the United States will begin cutting aid to three Central American nations because of their…
The Tico Times Dispatch: An interview with journalist and economist David ChingAlejandro Zúñiga - October 23, 2018
Costa Rica’s Plenary Court rejected the proposed tax reform bill last week and asked that four sections of the initiative…
Soy pico rojo: the new form of protest in NicaraguaLa Prensa - October 23, 2018
Social media has been filled with photos of men and women wearing red lipstick as a way of protest Daniel…