Transport Ministry suspends contracts for border road following corruption allegations
The Public Works and Transport Ministry (MOPT) on Tuesday suspended contracts with companies in charge of building a new road along the San Juan River, the border with Nicaragua.
Temporary Public Works and Transport Minister Luis Llach made the announcement after his predecessor, Francisco Jiménez, denounced alleged corruption among National Roadway Council (CONAVI) officials and companies that won the construction contracts. President Laura Chinchilla asked Jiménez to step down following the allegations.
Llach said work on the new route will continue with MOPT equipment. CONAVI will continue operating quarries to ensure the project moves forward while the government seeks other contract arrangements. Communications Minister Francisco Chacón said a separate company not involved in the bribery allegations, CACISA, will supervise the project.
You may be interested
The Tico Times Dispatch: An interview with journalist and economist David ChingAlejandro Zúñiga - October 23, 2018
Costa Rica’s Plenary Court rejected the proposed tax reform bill last week and asked that four sections of the initiative…
Soy pico rojo: the new form of protest in NicaraguaLa Prensa - October 23, 2018
Social media has been filled with photos of men and women wearing red lipstick as a way of protest Daniel…