Guatemalan ex-soldiers get 6,060 years in prison each
GUATEMALA CITY – A Guatemalan court sentenced four former military officers to 6,060 years in prison each on Tuesday for the slaughter of more than 200 civilians in 1982 during the country’s civil war.
“This court unanimously declared the accused as perpetrators of murder. For this crime, a sentence of 30 years in prison for each victim comes to a total of 6,030 years,” the court said in its decision.
In addition, the court sentenced each former officer to another 30 years in prison for each murder as a “crime against humanity by state security forces,” bringing the total to 6,060 years in prison for each man.
The killings took place over three days in December 1982 as part of the country’s 1960-1996 civil war. Witnesses said the victims included pregnant women, children and the elderly. The only survivors were several children.
The court said the killings were “perverse” because they “erased from the map” the village of Dos Erres in the Petén department.
The convicted men, Antonio Carlos Carias, Manuel Pop, Reyes Collin and Daniel Martínez, were part of the elite Kaibil army force when they took part in the massacre, according to the charge sheet.
Pedro Pimentel has also been detained in connection with the case after being deported from the U.S. last month. Another three men have been arrested in connection with the massacre, two of them in Guatemala and one in Canada.
The massacre occurred during the military regime of General Efraín Ríos Montt, who is alleged to have ordered the attack.
The former army chief currently has two open cases against him in Spain and Guatemala for crimes against humanity.
The massacre at Dos Erres is one of the 699 cases documented by the Historical Clarification Commission, whose report cites around 200,000 casualties from Guatemala’s 36-year civil war.
You may be interested
Mexico opens border to women and children from migrant caravanAFP - October 20, 2018
Mexican authorities on Saturday allowed dozens of women and children from the Honduran migrant caravan to pass into its territory,…
Venezuela accuses Costa Rica of ‘subordination’ to U.S.AFP - October 20, 2018
Venezuela criticized Costa Rica this week for expressing support for several countries that have asked the International Criminal Court (ICC)…
Lifeguards call for help in Costa Rica: support their work in OsaPerry Gladstone - October 20, 2018
Over the last four years, the Lifeguards of Costa Ballena have performed 240 in-water rescues, administered first aid 100 times…