Inter-American Hwy. Bridge Reopens After Fiery Crash

February 5, 2010

Police and traffic officials are investigating the cause of an explosion early this week on the

Inter-American Highway

, which killed two people and stalled vehicles for almost 24 hours in traffic as they waited to traverse part of a vital road that connects San José to the northern province of Guanacaste and Costa Rica to the rest of Central America.

At around 2:30 p.m. Monday, three cars heading north collided on a bridge above the LagartoRiver, which forms the boundary between the two provinces, according to the Public Works and Transport Ministry (MOPT).

Officials said the first vehicle, a van driven by two “foreigners,” was struck in the rear as it crossed the bridge. The second car was then struck from behind by a tanker truck carrying several thousand liters of diesel gasoline. The impact caused the sandwiched car to burst into flames, which then spread onto the body of the tanker truck.

Two riders in the middle car, Ronny Aguilar, 18, and René Umaña, 57, perished due to injuries and burns sustained in the accident.

As powerful flames emanated from the charred vehicles, firemen worked through the night to quell the blaze and to remove the tanker to avoid a larger explosion.

According to MOPT, area firemen were able to remove the tanker and clean over 5,000 liters of diesel fuel from the bridge.

“The heat from the fire was too intense for firemen to enter the bridge (Monday) and last night,” MOPT press officer Omar Segura told The Tico Times. “Early this morning (Tuesday), they were able to remove the tanker and the fuel to assure that no further damage was done to the bridge.”

Segura said that after the vehicles and debris from the accident were removed, roadway officials and MOPT engineers performed an extensive inspection of the bridge foundation and structure and deemed that only “secondary damage” had occurred.

By noon Tuesday, cars and trucks that had been waiting to cross the bridge heading north to Guanacaste or south to Puntarenas were again permitted to cross, as Traffic Police guided cars across the one open lane of the bridge.

According to witnesses, the first vehicle stopped abruptly to avoid a hole in the floor of the bridge. Segura said MOPT had covered the hole in December and that officials are investigating to find out if the hole was uncovered or materials used to cover the hole became dislodged sometime in December or January.

–Adam Williams

You may be interested

Adaptive surfing, part III: Riding the waves with Noah
sports
68 views
sports
68 views

Adaptive surfing, part III: Riding the waves with Noah

Ellen Zoe Golden - May 25, 2018

Part III in a series on adaptive surfing in Costa Rica. Read Part I, about the country's association for disabled…

It’s frog orgy season
Environment and Wildlife
1170 views
Environment and Wildlife
1170 views

It’s frog orgy season

Lindsay Fendt - May 25, 2018

The rainy season is upon us. For many of us that means hiding indoors for the next few months, but for Costa…

Costa Rica’s guilty voters
No Sugar Please
130 views
No Sugar Please
130 views

Costa Rica’s guilty voters

Álvaro Murillo - May 25, 2018

By what I have done, and by what I have left undone. A relative of mine is 70 years old…