H1N1 flu toll still rising in Costa Rica
Costa Rica´s Health Ministry confirmed that a further six people died from the H1N1 flu virus last week, bringing the total number of deaths to 47.
A 56-year-old man and two women, ages 30 and 50, were among the latest victims.
Health Minister María Luisa Avila said that the ministry was still waiting for confirmation regarding the remaining three.
They were all believed to have suffered from obesity and high-blood pressure, although it was the AH1N1 virus that killed them.
Avila advised that the public continues with strict hygiene measures to avoid further contraction.
Although the illness had slid largely off the radar, last week the popular Festival Imperial joined a list of public gatherings that have been canceled due to concerns over a new wave of the H1N1 virus.
You may be interested
Trump: US to begin cutting aid to Central America over migrant caravanAFP - October 23, 2018
President Donald Trump said Monday the United States will begin cutting aid to three Central American nations because of their…
The Tico Times Dispatch: An interview with journalist and economist David ChingAlejandro Zúñiga - October 23, 2018
Costa Rica’s Plenary Court rejected the proposed tax reform bill last week and asked that four sections of the initiative…
Soy pico rojo: the new form of protest in NicaraguaLa Prensa - October 23, 2018
Social media has been filled with photos of men and women wearing red lipstick as a way of protest Daniel…