After 30-Year Delay Caldera Project Starts
The money’s in, the equipment is onsite, and the government has handed out the concession.
It’s been a 30-year wait, but the long-delayed Caldera highway that would connect San José in a nearly straight shot to the Pacific Ocean may finally be on its way.
Luis Diego Vargas, vice minister of the National Concessions Council, told daily La Nación that construction started on Wednesday.
With a $230 million loan from the Central American Bank for Economic Integration in pocket, concessionaire Autopistas del Sol has 30 months to complete the 77-kilometer highway.
With a 30-year wait to get to this point, however, Vargas warned that other hangups could still lie ahead.
“Every project can experience unforeseen weather, or economic (complications), like an extreme increase in materials costs,” he said.
“But the political and economic outlooks say that the plan will go ahead without delays.”
You may be interested
Buchón cantina: Spritz cocktails to dine forNatalia Díaz - October 18, 2018
Buchón was the first place I tasted the Aperol Spritz, months before it became fashionable around San José. In fact,…
Tico Times Shade: What does ‘middle class’ mean in Costa Rica?Alejandro Zúñiga - October 18, 2018
It’s not often The Tico Times writes an explainer about basic Costa Rican daily living that’s equally surprising to a…
Costa Rica grants asylum to Nicaraguan activist Alvaro LeivaAFP - October 18, 2018
Costa Rica granted the Nicaraguan human rights activist Alvaro Leiva political asylum last week. Leiva is the secretary of the…