Venezuelans Accused of Plotting Coup Seek Refuge
Two Venezuelans accused of staging an overthrow of Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez in April 2002 have applied for refugee status in Costa Rica, Public Security Minister Fernando Berrocal confirmed last week.
These former Venezuelan military agents, identified as Néstor González and Henry López, have already presented their requests to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) a necessary step in the process of gaining refugee status. Costa Rica’s General Immigration Administration is now reviewing their cases, Berrocal said.
When the applications have been ruled on, the decision will be made public, Berrocal said.
You may be interested
Honduran opposition protesters take to the streetsNoe Leiva / AFP - December 15, 2017
Supporters of the leftist opposition in Honduras blocked streets in various cities around that country on Friday, despite political repression,…
Of snow, kindness and Northern Lights: a Costa Rican in Manitoba, CanadaGustavo Díaz Cruz - December 14, 2017
My mom named me Gustavo Adolfo. I was born in Puntarenas, next to the sea, but my home was in…
Response to disaster: aid successes, struggles in post-Maria Puerto RicoJohn McPhaul - December 13, 2017
As Costa Rica joins many other nations in looking back upon the horrendous 2017 hurricane season, longtime Tico Times contributor…