Arias Administration Plans To Postpone Immigration Reform

June 16, 2006

The administration of President Oscar Arias plans to send a bill to the Legislative Assembly that would prevent the new Immigration Law from taking effect in August and delay it for at least a year. The delay is designed to give the government time to prepare for the costs of implementing the law and examine aspects of the law that have been criticized by the President, as well as academics, religious figures and the Ombudsman’s Office.

Mario Zamora, the new director of Immigration, told the daily La Nación his institution would have to spend ¢7 billion ($13.7 million) for the new police, infrastructure and administrative reforms the law demands. For example, the law would require increasing the Immigration Police force from 35 to 600.

Zamora added that the law, which cracks down on illegal immigration through measures such as increased penalties for people who hire illegal immigrants, includes “eminently repressive” regulations, and Arias administration officials would use a delay to study reforms to counteract those regulations.

Public Security Minister Fernando Berrocal told the daily the government would have to spend “a fortune” to apply the new law, and that he couldn’t understand how the law could have been drafted.

The bill the Arias administration plans to submit would alter Article 269 of the law; the article states that the law must take effect eight months after its publication in the official government daily La Gaceta, which took place Dec. 12, 2005.

Other measures the law includes are greater freedom for police in their efforts to find and remove illegal immigrants, detention for an undefined length of time for those suspected of being illegal immigrants, and changes to improve the efficiency of Immigration (TT, Aug. 26, 2005).

 

You may be interested

Billionaire Piñera to return as Chile’s president
Chile
284 views
Chile
284 views

Billionaire Piñera to return as Chile’s president

Paulina Abramovich / AFP - December 18, 2017

Electoral authorities said the 68-year-old conservative, who previously led the South American nation from 2010-2014, won 54 percent of the vote, nearly eight points above his leftist rival Alejandro Guillier.

Download our High Season Print Edition here
The Tico Times
1045 views
The Tico Times
1045 views

Download our High Season Print Edition here

The Tico Times - December 17, 2017

Thanks to all the readers from around Costa Rica and the world who have written to ask how they can…

PHOTOS: Costa Rica’s Festival of Light
Holidays
3125 views
Holidays
3125 views

PHOTOS: Costa Rica’s Festival of Light

AFP - December 17, 2017

Costa Rica's traditional Festival de la Luz, a holiday parade through the heart of San José, filled the capital with…