Brazilian petroleum company Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. (Petrobras) will advise the National Oil Refinery (RECOPE) on security and emergency procedures for managing oil, according to a statement released Tuesday by the refinery.
Specialists from the company will arrive to Costa Rica Monday and review the country’s emergency procedures for oil spills on land and in rivers.
“Experts will carry out a series of visits and inspections of oil distribution and sales terminals, a refinement plant, gas stations and the Juan Santamaría International Airport to diagnose RECOPE’s needs in terms of emergency preparedness,” the statement said.
The Brazilian specialists plan to present RECOPE with a report of their recommendations between June and August.
Petrobras officials will also give two training courses to RECOPE workers in warehouses and laboratories on the management of dangerous materials.
“What we want from this visit is to take advantage of Petrobras’ experience, one of the five largest petroleum companies in the world.We have adequate personnel and equipment, but it’s always important to receive knowledge from those who know the most,” said RECOPE president José León Desanti.
Last week, President Oscar Arias announced that Petrobras would work alongside RECOPE to study the feasibility of exploration 50 miles off the Caribbean coast. The announcement confirmed the Arias administration’s openness to petroleum exploration, a marked change in policy from the previous administration of Abel Pacheco (2002-2006), who declared a moratorium on oil exploration and open-pit mining during his presidency (TT, June 2).