Short Circuit Smokes Election Building

February 10, 2006

Shortly after Costa Rica began to vote for its new political landscape, people in the offices of the Supreme Elections Tribunal (TSE) were startled when smoke began pouring into offices on the third floor.

According to Hector Chaves, director of Costa Rica’s Firefighter Corps, firefighters received the call at 7:59 a.m. Sunday. Nobody was injured, nor were there any damages, Chaves said.

The smoke was caused by a motor that overheated in the ventilation system, causing a short circuit and “a little panic,” Chaves said.

Chaves said that during the manual vote recounting (see separate story), a firefighter unit will be posted at the building 24 hours a day.

 

Facebook Comments

You may be interested

How to file a criminal complaint, or ‘denuncia,’ in Costa Rica
Costa Rica
397 views
Costa Rica
397 views

How to file a criminal complaint, or ‘denuncia,’ in Costa Rica

Caeli Chesin - March 22, 2019

In Costa Rica, a criminal complaint can report workplace harassment, a home invasion or sexual assault, among other crimes related…

Off the eaten path: Aroi Thai
Dining & Nightlife
586 views
Dining & Nightlife
586 views

Off the eaten path: Aroi Thai

William Ayre - March 22, 2019

Aroi Thai was the first Thai restaurant in Costa Rica. They started as a delivery-only service before opening a restaurant…

Costa Rica confirms measles cases in children of United States citizens
Costa Rica
3143 views
Costa Rica
3143 views

Costa Rica confirms measles cases in children of United States citizens

Alejandro Zúñiga - March 21, 2019

Costa Rica is enacting a National Surveillance Protocol after confirming two cases of measles, the Health Ministry announced Thursday afternoon.…