Short Circuit Smokes Election Building

February 10, 2006

Shortly after Costa Rica began to vote for its new political landscape, people in the offices of the Supreme Elections Tribunal (TSE) were startled when smoke began pouring into offices on the third floor.

According to Hector Chaves, director of Costa Rica’s Firefighter Corps, firefighters received the call at 7:59 a.m. Sunday. Nobody was injured, nor were there any damages, Chaves said.

The smoke was caused by a motor that overheated in the ventilation system, causing a short circuit and “a little panic,” Chaves said.

Chaves said that during the manual vote recounting (see separate story), a firefighter unit will be posted at the building 24 hours a day.

 

You may be interested

Strong winds cause three deaths in Costa Rica, one in El Salvador
Weather
1490 views
Weather
1490 views

Strong winds cause three deaths in Costa Rica, one in El Salvador

AFP - December 10, 2017

Three people have died in Costa Rica, includiing two Swiss tourists, and one in El Salvador as a result of…

6 camouflaged Costa Rican creatures you probably haven’t seen
Environment and Wildlife
2213 views
Environment and Wildlife
2213 views

6 camouflaged Costa Rican creatures you probably haven’t seen

Lindsay Fendt - December 9, 2017

The jungle can be a scary place, and even for some of the fiercest of Costa Rica’s creatures, sometimes the…

National Geographic-Lindblad Expeditions ship makes first visit to Osa Peninsula
Cruises
1976 views
Cruises
1976 views

National Geographic-Lindblad Expeditions ship makes first visit to Osa Peninsula

The Tico Times - December 8, 2017

National Geographic and Lindblad Expeditions touched down for the first time on Costa Rica's renowned Osa Peninsula this week for…